Thursday, February 17, 2011

Car Rides and Good Vibes

No, I did not get along well with my parents growing up. I was a punk. Plain and simple. I "knew" better. They were out of touch. They couldn't possibly understand what I was going through. I was wrong. Yes Mom, I know you want to hear it again: I was wrong (I'll tell you in person when I see you in a year ;) This enlightened train of thought all started in the winter of 2007 with a couple three hundred miles and some alone time with my momma (yes, a couple three).

My parents love to be with their grand kids. Only problem is, they live 300 miles away from them. This led to an almost weekly excursion from the wintry warmth of St. George Utah to the frigid frost of Herriman, near Salt Lake City. Our car rides were usually a marathon of Simon and Garfunkel/Beatles albums to help pass the time. Amidst the Funk, my Mother found some way to really pry me open and get me to start talking to her for the first time in my life. I found myself talking about everything. Over time, I spilled my guts about the mistakes of my past. Huge burdens were lifted off my shoulders as I asked forgiveness for the torment I put Mom through in my earlier life.

These conversations with my Mom sparked something in me. I wanted to talk and get things off my chest. I wanted to give up all the stuff I had bottled up inside. The discussions with my mom left me wanting for something more. I still felt a little empty. That's when I finally decided to put prayer to the test. I started to get on my knees and talk to Heavenly Father, and really talk. I told Him everything (which at the time seemed ridiculous, because He knew it all already). I prayed “with all the energy of heart” (Moroni 7:48). I felt that emptiness replaced with the love of God more and more. I expressed the shame, guilt, sorrow, remorse, and heartache I felt because of my past. Prayer strengthened my faith, which led to repentance. I was finally able to feel the redeeming power of the Atonement.  Over time those very same feelings have been replaced with peace, happiness, and resolve to do better. I am forever grateful for the healing principle of prayer. To learn more about how Heavenly Father feels about prayer, click HERE.

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful conversion story, Elder Ika. We're all so proud of you for choosing to serve the Lord and how fun that you're able to blog about your experiences. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elder Ika,
    You touch my heart. There is nothing better than the Atonement working in your life. What a wonderful gift Heavenly Father has given us. You're great! Keep up the good work--

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last car ride was not the same without you.. glad you and mom had that time together.. I find myself having a hard time sharing everything with prayer.. something I am going to work on.. love ya my "little" bro!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Car rides with the family are the best! Loved your analogy with prayer and talking to your mom. Praying to our Father in Heaven is exactly the same. Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete