Tuesday, March 8, 2011

I love Hebrew Reggae

I named my blog after a song that I love by the Hasidic reggae artist Matisyahyu. These lyrics help get me through some tough times when the road gets rough. Here's a little explanation of what I think of when I hear the song.

"Planting seeds, they won't sink in.
I'm dried up, like the desert earth, how could these seeds give birth.
Water me down, liquefy, I will not be cursed!
From one into a million disperse."

As missionaries we 'plant seeds' by getting out and doing missionary work. We want to see these seeds sink into the ground and spring forth bearing fruit, or people receiving the gospel. Sometimes it seems like our efforts are futile. But we can't let it bog us down. We have to remain determined and remember that no effort is wasted.

"Wisdom reigns like water from heaven to below.
Crush my earth, seeds sow, garden start to grow.
You know you've got to rise, though you like to flow.
You can't keep staring out the window."

I love this section because it reminds me of God's promise that His work will go forth and that no unhallowed hand can stop it from progressing. We have to rise above, not flow down the path of least resistance. It will prosper for us as missionaries as long as we aren't idly 'staring out the window'. We go to work and eventually, we will see the harvest.

"Earth, water, wind, fire we stay low while getting higher.
Spark igniter, fighting tired
Stay wired, enlighten loads.
Stay alive, weep wail chant, cry, let out a sigh
Energized, give out my last dime, life shouldn't pass me by."

It's all about work right here to me. If we keep going, even when we are tired and do our best to do all that we can, the Lord will give us strength. He will keep us moving forward, helping us to fulfill our promise to give all that we can. Life won't pass us by, because we will have given our life, or our own will, and found Eternal Life in the process.
"Rise, to the occasion.
Keep these hearts all blazin.
Build your life on a river of wax.
Melt into space, we've been here since the beginning, not going away.
Not going away....."

We can't truly succeed at this of ourselves. We don't have the strength to do all that is required and asked of us. The Lord must be our strength and our support.

The song goes a lot deeper for me than this. This little synopsis is some of the basic thoughts I have with it. But that's just my take on it. What do you think?




1 comment:

  1. Hey! Great post :). I am working on getting quotes together for you like you asked!!!!

    ReplyDelete