Wednesday, March 23, 2011

One year

Mixed emotions right now. I'm feeling a little weirded out. It's been one year since I said my farewell's to my family, friends, and the life I once knew. One year ago tomorrow I was thrown into the mix and became a full time missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I had no idea what I was getting into! I didn't realize how difficult missionary work could be. I didn't realize how challenging teaching can be. I didn't realize how complicated finding could be. I didn't realize how arduous being without my family, especially my niece's and nephews would be. Most of all, I didn't realize how demanding the Lord would be with His work. After my first day as a full time missionary, I determined I knew two things:
  1. I was not as prepared as I thought I was.
  2. It didn't matter, because I knew that the Book of Mormon was true.
 I have come to a few new realizations since that fate full day of 24 March 2010. I didn't realize then that I would become a new person. I didn't realize that I would be able to talk to anyone, anytime, anywhere. I didn't realize that I would be able to work 14-15 hour days, 7 days a week. I didn't realize that I would find out that home was not just in Utah, but also in Lander Wyoming, as well as Lewistown and Billings Montana. I didn't realize that I would be led to some of the best friends I would ever have. I didn't realize that God is aware of my every trouble and pain. Of my every heartache and sorrow. I didn't realize that I would have more fun than ever before in my life. I didn't realize that I would be tried and tested so much, yet each time have my faith in Jesus Christ strengthened more and more.

I knew the Gospel before I came out. I had experienced it's transforming power. But I had no idea what was in store for me. I had no idea that the Lord would bless me so much. I have seen so many miracles in this one year of service, and I am terrified that I only get one more. One more year is all that the Lord has allotted me. After one year of service I have determined I now know 7 things:
  1. The Lord uses weaklings like myself and qualifies us for His work.
  2. God the Father lives.
  3. Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world and through Him we can return to our Heavenly Father.
  4. Joseph Smith was a prophet and through him the gospel, Christ's church and priesthood were restored.
  5. We have a prophet on the earth today, Thomas S. Monson, who is the Lord's representative.
  6. The Book of Mormon is the word of God.
  7. Coming on the mission was the best decision I ever made.
I sure do love this work. It's great to be a missionary!

No comments:

Post a Comment